HOW TO MAKE SOUTHWEST SALAD DRESSING
This Southwest Salad Dressing is lusciously smooth, creamy and deserves its own mariachi encore. The ingredient list is somewhat lengthy for the dressing, but it comes together in less than 5 minutes because all you do is add the ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth – so please don’t be intimidated – I promise its so worth it. I love the dressing so much I doubled it just so I could have leftovers to douse my burritos in. I’m pretty certain you will love it too.
To make the Creamy Salsa Avocado Dressing, add avocado, salsa, sour cream (or Greek yogurt) cilantro, garlic, lime, jalapeno and splash of smoked paprika and cumin to your blender and blend until smooth, scraping the sides down as needed. You can add hot sauce if you like it spicier and milk if you like it thinner. It tastes best chilled before serving but if you don’t have time, then it will still taste sensational as is.
Southwest Salad with Creamy Avocado Salsa Dressing is far more delicious than any restaurant salad at a fraction of the cost! This Southwest Salad is bursting with black beans, red bell peppers, tomatoes, fresh sweet corn, pepitas, Pepper Jack cheese, and bathed in Creamy Avocado Salsa Dressing. The dressing alone is worth making this Southwest Salad recipe!
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- fresh corn kernels from 1 ear of sweet corn
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup roasted and salted pepitas (may sub. sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese, or more to taste
- Tortilla Strips for Salads (I like Fresh Gourmet Santa Fe Style)
Creamy Avocado Salsa Dressing
- 1 small avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded, deveined and roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1/4 cup sour cream (may sub.plain Greek yogurt)
- 1/4 cup smooth salsa (medium for more of a kick)
- 1/4 cup milk
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 tsp EACH salt, ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp EACH pepper, smoked paprika
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- Add all of the Creamy Avocado Salad Dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, scraping the sides down as needed. Add hot sauce and additional salt and pepper to taste. Add additional milk to thin to desired consistency if needed. Chilli in the refrigerator, time permitting.
- Add salad ingredients to a large bowl except for the tortilla strips and toss to combine.
- Toss salad with desired amount of dressing (there will probably be some left over) or drizzle dressing over individual servings if not eating all of the salad immediately.
- Garnish salad with tortilla strips and freshly cracked salt and pepper.
- Get full recipe >> Southwest Salad with Creamy Avocado Salsa Dressing @ Carlsbad Cravings